Frequently Asked Questions

January 24, 2022 is the first day that the IRS will accept 2021 tax filings. Returning clients should upload their W2, 1099, and other 2021 documents to Vault or contact your preparer directly. 

Individuals who didn’t qualify for the third Economic Impact Payment or did not receive the full amount may be eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit based on their 2021 tax information. They’ll need to file a 2021 tax return, even if they don’t usually file, to claim the credit.

Yes! The iTaxMobile platform used to exchange Member information uses a high-level of encryption technology; the same technology used to access your online banking information. Your sensitive financial information is always stored in a highly secure cloud-based portal.

Generally, to qualify for head of household filing status, you must have a qualifying child or a dependent. However, a custodial parent may be eligible to claim head of household filing status based on a child even if he or she released a claim to exemption for the child.

We created iTaxMobile specifically to offer a virtual tax prep service, consultation, and review sessions are facilitated via a secure video link.  We also offer in-person tax prep sessions with masks and social distance required.

There are different verification documents needed for each tax scenario, please visit our Resources page for scenario-specific information.

You will receive a text notification when your return has been accepted by the IRS.  You can also visit and click “Where’s my refund?

You can take a picture or upload a PDF.  Please make sure you have proper lighting and the document is legible. We recommend the CamScan app, found in your devices app store. 

We will also send you a secure document link for your convenience.

Our services include: 

    • Preparation and e-filing of one federal tax return
    • Preparation of a state tax return is available for an additional fee (e-filing included).

Pricing for our online products are based on your needs and the complexity of your income tax return.

To claim your child as your dependent, your child must meet either the qualifying child test or the qualifying relative test:

  • To meet the qualifying child test, your child must be younger than you and either younger than 19 years old or be a “student” younger than 24 years old as of the end of the calendar year.
  • There’s no age limit if your child is “permanently and totally disabled” or meets the qualifying relative test.

In addition to meeting the qualifying child or qualifying relative test, you can claim that person as a dependent only if these three tests are met:

  • Dependent taxpayer test
  • Citizen or resident test, and
  • Joint return test

We should discuss this in your virtual tax interview to help you determine whom you may claim as a dependent.

Information You’ll Need

  • Marital status, relationship to the dependent, and the amount of support provided.
  • Basic income information such as your adjusted gross income.
  • If no person supplied more than half of the potential dependent’s support, the terms of any multiple support agreement you may have.

The tool is designed for taxpayers who were U.S. citizens or resident aliens for the entire tax year for which they’re inquiring. If married, the spouse must also have been a U.S. citizen or resident alien for the entire tax year. For information about nonresidents or dual-status aliens, please see International Taxpayers.

**Note this information is provided from IRS.GOV, it is not intended to replace or constitute written advice in response to a your specific scenario.

Your filing status is used to determine your filing requirements, standard deduction, eligibility for certain credits, and your correct tax. If more than one filing status applies to you, this interview will choose the one that will result in the lowest amount of tax.

Information You’ll Need

  • Marital status and spouse’s year of death (if applicable).
  • The percentage of the costs that your household members paid toward keeping up a home.

The tool is designed for taxpayers that were U.S. citizens or resident aliens for the entire tax year for which they’re inquiring. If married, the spouse must also have been a U.S. citizen or resident alien for the entire tax year.

Social security benefits include monthly retirement, survivor and disability benefits. They don’t include supplemental security income (SSI) payments, which aren’t taxable. The net amount of social security benefits that you receive from the Social Security Administration is reported in Box 5 of Form SSA-1099, Social Security Benefit Statement, and you report that amount on line 6a of Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return or Form 1040-SR, U.S. Tax Return for Seniors. The taxable portion of the benefits that’s included in your income and used to calculate your income tax liability depends on the total amount of your income and benefits for the taxable year. You report the taxable portion of your social security benefits on line 6b of Form 1040 or Form 1040-SR.

Your benefits may be taxable if the total of (1) one-half of your benefits, plus (2) all of your other income, including tax-exempt interest, is greater than the base amount for your filing status.

The base amount for your filing status is:

  • $25,000 if you’re single, head of household, or qualifying widow(er),
  • $25,000 if you’re married filing separately and lived apart from your spouse for the entire year,
  • $32,000 if you’re married filing jointly,
  • $0 if you’re married filing separately and lived with your spouse at any time during the tax year.

If you’re married and file a joint return, you and your spouse must combine your incomes and social security benefits when figuring the taxable portion of your benefits. Even if your spouse didn’t receive any benefits, you must add your spouse’s income to yours when figuring on a joint return if any of your benefits are taxable.

Generally, you can figure the taxable amount of the benefits in Are My Social Security or Railroad Retirement Tier I Benefits Taxable?, on a worksheet in the Instructions for Form 1040 and Form 1040-SR or in Publication 915, Social Security and Equivalent Railroad Retirement Benefits. However, if you made contributions to a traditional Individual Retirement Arrangement (IRA) for 2020 and you or your spouse were covered by a retirement plan at work or through self-employment, use the worksheets in Publication 590-A, Contributions to Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs), to see if any of your social security benefits are taxable and to figure your IRA deduction.